As a member of the District Synod Planning Group and in collaboration with the Chair of the District, to make all necessary arrangements for the Representative Sessions of Synod and (if an ordained Presbyter) for the Presbyteral Sessions
Normal maximum duration of role is six years
Recommended time commitment of 3-4 hours per week on average throughout the year, in addition to Methodist Conference in June/July recognizing that there will be times of concentrated activity.
Travel, receipted expenses and training costs, necessarily incurred in the performance of duties will be reimbursed.
This role will be accountable to the District Leadership Team
The following duties will be undertaken as part of the role outlined above. All roles within the District carry with them the responsibility to take the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults seriously and any concerns that arise within them should be reported as per the Sheffield District Safeguarding Policy.
1. To ensure the smooth running of the Representative and Presbyteral sessions of Synod
2. To attend Methodist Conference as one of the District representatives
3. To convene the Chair's Nomination Panel if required (usually once during the six year appointment)
4. To attend other District Committees as required, currently:
5. To attend meetings convened connexionally with other Synod Secretaries – one is held at Conference
1. With the Synod Planning Group – identify appropriate venues for Synods
2. With the District Administrator – liaise with venues and circuits to ensure Synod runs smoothly
3. Contribute to Synod's Agenda and programme as part of the Synod Planning Group
4. Ensure the relevant Superintendents prepare any obituaries in accordance with Conference guidelines and present them to the Presbyteral Synod
5. Make sure all essential business is conducted
6. Writing up the minutes of the Synods in accordance with Conference
7. Write report of Synod for the Methodist Recorder
8. Report the business and decisions of the Synod to the Conference Office as required
9. With the Assistant Secretary of Synod – writing letters of greeting and condolence as directed by the Synod
It will be desirable for the nominees to have the following qualities:
Email the District Office (email@example.com) for more information or to request an Expression of Interest form, which can also be downloaded from this page