District Advance Fund

Grants are available from district funds for various aspects of mission listed under at least one of the “Our Calling” headings.

  • WORSHIP – The Church exists to increase awareness of God’s presence and to celebrate God’s love
  • LEARNING & CARING – The Church exists to help people to grow and learn as Christians, through mutual support and care
  • SERVICE – The Church exists to be a good neighbour to people in need and to challenge injustice
  • EVANGELISM – The Church exists to make more followers of Jesus Christ

Grant Applications

The District applies various criteria to applications for their Grants.
Methodist Circuits,  and other bodies must show:

  1. that they have clear and specific plans for mission that will be carried forward if this scheme is implemented.
  2. that the scheme will achieve these plans.
  3. if the scheme enables the development of on-going existing work that is critical to the mission of the circuit, the District or the external body.
  4. that the proposal enables change and takes measured risks.
  5. that the possibility of partnership with ecumenical or other community organisations has been fully explored.
  6. if there are other factors to be taken into consideration e.g. demographic, social, and economic, in developing the scheme.
  7. that the scheme is financially realistic, given membership, other funding and other relevant factors.

In the first instance it may be helpful for you to have a discussion with the District Grants Officer before making a formal application.
The District Grants Committee meets twice yearly to receive and review applications (October and May). It may convene at other times to react to urgent needs. It then makes its recommendations to the Sheffield Methodist District Leadership Team for approval.

Additional Notes:

  1. Sustaining the work of the circuit on a self-financing basis is normally expected to be a circuit objective. DAF grants will not normally support the replacement of current circuit personnel even where the job description is different.
  2. Applications for increases in previous grant levels will normally only be considered where there is an increase in the work to be funded.
  3. The Church/Circuit’s  or other body’s willingness and ability to share in the cost will be taken into consideration (bearing in mind any special factors) when assessing the scale of the grant.
  4. An accurate budget of income and expenditure for the year(s) in question is required. For specific appointments/projects a particular budget will be required, as well as details of circuit/church finances where it is within a circuit (including church appointments and projects).
  5. Term grant applications are normally expected to be on a diminishing basis.
  6. The setting of aims and objectives, and a strong process of monitoring and evaluation are required. In cases where grant aid is offered for three years or more, annual reports following the process of monitoring and evaluation will be a condition of the continuance of grant payments.
  7. Grants for new appointments are not normally awarded where the contract of employment has already been entered into (ie: no retrospective applications will normally be considered).
  8. Grants for building works will not normally be given where building works have already commenced. Work on Methodist property normally needs consent before proceeding.
  9. Circuits and Churches, and other bodies are asked to show what implications refusal of the application would have.
  10. Property grants will normally be up to a maximum of 10% of total costs provided the other 90% is funded already (or will) be by other sources. These include:
    1. assisting the development of new and creative ways of being church, with particular relevance to young people, in order to respond to the changing spiritual needs of a diverse society;
    2. reviewing present structures in order to make the best use of properties and resources;
    3. encouraging collaborative working and ecumenical partnerships to facilitate the growth and expansion of  imaginative and pertinent Mission projects within each circuit’s community